Bike Paths of Northeast Ohio & Western Pennsylvania
(All linear trails unless otherwise noted)
List courtesy of Thumm’s Bike & Clock Shop
Family-owned since 1909
330 W. Market Street · Warren, OH 44481
Bike & Hike Trail in Summit County. Length: 34 paved miles from the Stow/Munroe Falls area north, connecting to the Cleveland Metroparks, Bedford Reservation. www.summitmetroparks.org
Cleveland Metroparks. Over 60 miles of paved trails. www.clemetparks.com.
Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Cuyahoga & Summit Counties. Includes approx. 20 miles of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail (crushed limestone). The trail continues outside the national park north to Cleveland and south to Akron and Canton. www.nps.gov/cuva. See also Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad’s website at www.cvsr.com. They offer a reduced one-way fare for cyclists.
Headwaters Trail. Portage County. An 8-mile crushed limestone trail from Garrettsville west to Mantua. www.portageparkdistrict.org
Little Beaver Creek Greenway Trail. Columbiana County. Approx. 11 paved miles from Leetonia south to Lisbon. www.bicycletrail.com/Greenway.htm The trail now continues north approx. 2 more miles from Leetonia to Washingtonville. See Google Maps for Washingtonville trailhead.
Maple Highlands Trail. Geauga county. Length: 22 miles (15 paved) from Swine Creek Reservation northwest to Colburn Rd. (Lake Country line). Includes 2 short sections on city streets through Middlefield and Chardon. www.geaugaparkdistrict.org/parks/maplehighlands.shtml
* Mill Creek MetroParks Bikeway. Mahoning County. Approx. 11 paved miles from Austintown south to Western Reserve Rd. www.millcreekmetroparks.org. Also Mill Creek Park, Youngstown. Multiple hiking and biking trails. Same website.
* Niles Greenway. Trumbull County. 4.5 paved miles from downtown Niles south, connecting to the Mill Creek MetroParks Bikeway. Niles trailhead parking is at the east end of Church Street, downtown Niles. www.traillink.com/trail/niles-greenway.aspx
Portage Hike & Bike. Portage County. Approx. 8 miles (part paved, part crushed limestone) from Ravenna west to Kent. www.portageparkdistrict.org
Stavich Bicycle Trail. Counties: Mahoning (OH) and Lawrence (PA). Length: 11 paved miles from Struthers, OH (Rt. 289 just east of 616) to New Castle, PA along a former inter-urban rail line. www.traillink.com/trail/stavich-bicycle-trail.aspx
* Warren Bikeway. Approx 4.5 miles from the Western Reserve Greenway at N. River Rd. south/southeast through Warren, partly on city streets, ending at Burton St. SE. www.warren.org/explore_warren/parks_and_outdoor_recreation
* Western Reserve Greenway Trail. Ashtabula and Trumbull Counties. Approx. 44 paved miles from Warren (N. River Rd.) north to the city of Ashtabula. (Trumbull County portion: approx. 17 miles. Ashtabula County: 27 miles) www.ashtabulacountymetroparks.org and www.metroparks.co.trumbull.oh.us. The trail map is in the Document Library under the Visitors tab. The southern end at N. River Rd. connects directly to the Warren Bikeway.
* These trails are all part of the Great Ohio Lake-to-River Greenway trail system. Currently, the trail is complete from the city of Ashtabula south approx. 49 miles through Warren, ending at Burton St. SE. The trail begins again at the Niles Greenway trailhead and continues south approx. 16 miles, ending at Western Reserve Road.
Allegheny Valley Trails Association. Venango County. Includes Allegheny River and Samuel Justice Trails (32 miles with two tunnels), Oil Creek State Park Trail (10 miles) and Sandy Creek Trail (12 miles with one tunnel). www.avta-trails.org. Headlights are needed for the tunnels!
Ernst Trail. Crawford County. Five paved miles from Park Ave. Plaza in Meadville to Route 19. A very scenic trail that passes through part of the French Creek valley. www.ernsttrail.org.
The Great Allegheny Passage. A 150-mile system of biking and hiking trails from McKeesport, PA (near Pittsburgh) to Cumberland, MD. The southern end in Cumberland connects to the C & O Canal Towpath Trail which continues 184 miles to Washington, D.C. www.atatrail.org and www.nps.gov/choh
Maurice K. Goddard State Park. Mercer County. A twelve-mile paved loop around Lake Wilhelm. www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/mauricekgoddard/index.htm
Moraine State Park. Butler County. Seven miles paved. Use caution: this trail has many steep grades and curves. Bike rentals: 724-368-9011 or 724-944-3239. www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/moraine/index.htm
Presque Isle State Park. Erie County. A 13.5-mile paved circuit. Bike rentals are available. Call 814-835-8900. www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/presqueisle/index.htm